(Mostly) Non Financial Ways to Contribute to DragonflyHill Urban Farm
This is the year that will make or break us and determine if the Dragonfly Team can keep our jobs, homes and community. Like many small businesses our existence is tenuous and fragile. But DragonflyHill Urban Farm is more than just a small business. We provide many services to the community either free of charge or for very low rates. We are a resource within the community, a meal when you may not have cash to eat somewhere else, a gathering place, a place of support and endless emotional labor, honest repair people for a quick fix or for major renovations, tax service/basic book keeping, lodging, tutoring, editing, design, space rental for events, meetings, etc. a vibrant urban farm and a teaching facility. We also have our nonprofit: The We Empowerment Center, which makes the benefits of nonprofit work accessible to those who otherwise would not have access to those resources.
We rely on our labor to provide for all the members of our team: Andy, Carlos, Emma, Glenda and Xeres. So we need your help. Many of the ways you can support us, don’t cost a thing. Others may come with a fee, but it is significantly less than if you were to acquire those services somewhere else.
Ways to help us out, to keep us going and to sustain us.
Likes, Retweets, Follows, Shares & Comments: Yes, we all make fun of “likes” but they are actual currency. Follow, like, comment and share our blog posts and follow, share and comment at DragonflyHill Urban Farm and The WE Empowerment Center on facebook. It can mean more traffic, more circulation and more exposure. Follow us on twitter, and retweet, retweet, retweet!
Visit Our blog: Please visit our blog. If we get enough visitors on a regular basis, we can start earning money through advertising. And as sucky as that is, that we may have to do that, better the money in our pockets, in our community.
Write letters: Right now home sharing is under attack by the hotel industry which has run a horrible stealth marketing campaign against home sharing, with the help their own company union and a couple of NGOs, and while they claim they’re against commercialized BNBs (where landlords convert entire buildings into hotels), the proposed ordinance would wipe us out: running the BNB is our main source of income, The 5 team members represent 4 households that rely on that income.
Join us: When we have activities at DragonflyHill Urban Farm, including our daily breakfast and urban farming gatherings! No one is ever turned away for lack of funds. Your participation means a lot to us. Follow us on social media for upcoming events!
Use our referrals: Use Lyft and Skurt, to get around town, and use our referral codes to open your accounts. We get a small honorarium for the referral and you get a huge discount on the use of these services:
Shop Amazon Smile: If you are a frequent Amazon.com shopper, register with Amazon smile, and select The WE Empowerment Center as your charity. For every purchase, Amazon will make a donation to our nonprofit, The WE Empowerment Center. Log in the same way you always do, but at https://smile.amazon.com, instead of Amazon .com.
- If you need a Lyft and you don’t have an account, go to: lyft.com/invited.dragonfly345 or via the app, dragonfly345 and you’ll get 50$ off for your first 10 rides
- SKURT is a car rental agency (a downloadable cell phone app), which will bring your car to you and by using our code DRAGFLY, offers a $30 discount for your rental. Here’s a link to get the app: http://www.skurtapp.com/#r:163686790778096419
- Film Location: Know someone working on a film, t.v. show, Let them know they can film here!
- Event & Space Rental: Know someone teaching a class– we can house that, along with meetings, rehearsal space, performance space, even parties.
- Lodging: Know someone coming to L.A. someone in L.A. in transition or someone relocating to L.A., let them know we offer lodging and wonderful accommodations. (We’re airbnb superhosts! the highest airbnb distinction!)
- Tax Services: Know someone who needs tax services, consultation or filing? We do that!
- Renovations, restorations, repairs and design: We do that. Let people know about us.
- Photography: head shots and real estate! We do THAT, TOO!
- Landscaping, Xeriscaping, Garden construction, Drip irrigation: We can set up your urban farm, including design, irrigation and construction.
- Non-Profit: Know a community group that could use organizational support or nonprofit status? Or an artist that has grants and needs a financial sponsor? Send them our way, because our nonprofit, The WE Empowerment Center, does all of that!
And for those of you in need of services:
- Use our services! We have a lot of services, with attention to craft, detail and quality. We take pride in the work we do
And for those of you wanting to give:
- Donate to our nonprofit: The WE Empowerment Center. It’s tax deductible and supports the labor of our office staff
- Gift us! With a DragonflyHill Gift Certificate: Any of our services can be given as gifts.