If You are an Immigrant (even a US Citizen), Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.)

Here Are 9 Things You Should Know

From:  http://musingsonimmigration.blogspot.com/2017/02/if-you-are-immigrant-even-us-citizen.html?m=1

En Español Si usted es inmigrante (incluso un ciudadano de los EE.UU.), aquí hay 9 cosas que usted debe saber.  (Abajo del Ingles)

Are you a Naturalized U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, Visa Holder, or an Undocumented Immigrant? We recommend you take the following steps to protect yourself in our current version of America.

The last couple of weeks have reminded immigrants, even naturalized U.S. citizens, that they were not born in the United States. Our office has received countless phone calls, emails, and social media messages from people worrying about what their family’s future in the United States holds.

Most people want to know what they can do now to protect themselves from what promises to be a wave of anti-immigration activity by the federal government. Trump’s Executive Order on Interior Enforcement has some provisions that should make most Americans shiver.  We recommend the following actions for each of the following groups:

  1. Naturalized U.S. citizens. In particular if you have a foreign accent, and you are traveling within 100 miles of any US Border(including the oceans), we strongly recommend carrying with you your US passport, or passport card, or a photocopy of your naturalization certificate. Because of the unpredictability of the current situation, we recommend keeping a photocopy of these documents in a safe place at your home, so that if necessary, someone will have access to it.  You may very well need to prove your US Citizenship.
  2.  Permanent residents. Most people don’t know this, but federal law requires that anyone who is NOT a US Citizen is required to carry with them at all times, evidence of their lawful status.  You can see that for yourself at 8 USC 1304(e).   So, carry your green card with you at all times!  As noted for US citizens, you should also keep a photocopy of your green card in a safe place at home so that it can be accessed by someone in case you lose your card and you need it to identify yourself.  Don’t forget about that 100 mile constitution free zone!   You should also renew your green card a full 6 months before expiration.  Don’t wait!  If your green card has expired, renew it now. And, if it is not obvious at this point, you should start the process to naturalize immediately!
  3. Lawfully present nonimmigrants (e.g. DACA, U Visa, EADs, Visitors, Students, H1Bs, etc.). Carry with you at all times your Employment Authorization Document, I-94 card, passport with entry stamp, or other proof of lawful presence (see the law above). Carry the original with you and keep a photocopy in a safe place at home, especially if you are within the 100 mile border area (more than 60% of the US population lives in this zone).
  4. Undocumented immigrants in the US for more than two years. Keep with you at all times evidence that you have been present for at least two years. Why?  Because President Trump just ordered DHS to examine activating a never used provision in immigration law that allows for the immediate removal from the US of anyone who cannot prove they have been here for two years (absent a claim for asylum).  We do not know when ICE or CBP might activate the change, but we need to be prepared.  Evidence that you might want with you are utility bills, receipts, Facebook posts, mail or any other documentation with your name going back two years, BUT, be very careful of using pay stubs if you have used false documents or information to get your job, as those are prosecutable offenses.  Again you should also keep this information at home so that it is accessible to someone who can help you.  Keep a photocopy at home. And, make sure you have a family plan in place to call for legal assistance if you fail to return home as usual.
  5. Undocumented immigrants in the US for less than two years.  The bad news is that you need a plan in place on what will happen to your belongings and your family if you do not return home from work, shopping, or school.  Make sure your relatives know they can look for your name on the ICE detainee website.  We assume that ICE and CBP will not release you on bond, and that if you have a fear or returning home, you will need to be VERY vocal about letting everyone know if you are detained.
  6. Undocumented Immigrants with 10 years in the United States and children.  You are eligible for Cancellation of Removal, and release on bond.  Begin now to prepare the paperwork you will need to secure a bond, and to prove your case.  You can read more about this process here. Don’t be caught unprepared!
  7. Non-US Citizens (Permanent Residents, Visa Holders, and Undocumented Immigrants) who have a criminal convictions OR are arrested.  If you have a criminal conviction, or are even arrested for a crime, ICE has begun to detain people in this category and has released only a very few on bond. If you have relief from removal, you are eligible for bond, but, depending on where you are, you may not be released.  Prepare for this by saving money for bond now, and have the paperwork organized so that our attorneys can quickly help seek a bond.
  8. Undocumented Immigrants with prior deportation orders.  If you have a prior deportation order and have returned to the United States, you are subject to prosecution by the federal government for the crime of reentry after deportation.  President Trump has ordered his U.S. Attorneys to increase the number of people charged with this crime. Depending on WHY you were deported (for example a serious criminal offense), you can spend up to five years in federal prison for reentering the US.  Again, make your plans now about how you want to deal with this situation. If you have a deportation order and never left, NOW is the time to speak to an immigration attorney and seek advice about your options to reopen your deportation case.
  9. For those Arrested by ICE, especially for the undocumented–Have a plan in place. Decide now who picks up the kids from school/daycare, who will be authorized to do so with the school, who to contact first, have a power of attorney prepared for this.  In the last few weeks we have heard of parents being picked up at school bus stops and at work and home while the kids are in school. Once it happens, there is no time to make arrangements.

Also, do your research now into immigration attorneys that you may call in a moment’s notice. Keep their phone number handy and ready for family and friends to use.  Or better yet, go see an excellent immigration attorney now and see what options you may have available to you.

We give these warnings because we want people to be prepared NOT scared.  Preparation will ensure that your family is protected. Contact us a 404-816-8611 or ckuck@immigration or jgavilanes@immigration.net, if you have any questions or concerns regarding your status.

¿Es usted un ciudadano estadounidense naturalizado, residente legal permanente, titular de una visa o inmigrante indocumentado?

Le recomendamos que tome los siguientes pasos para protegerse de nuestra versión actual de América.
Las últimas semanas hemos recordado a los inmigrantes, incluso a los ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados, que no nacieron en los Estados Unidos. Nuestra oficina ha recibido innumerables llamadas telefónicas, mensajes de correo electrónico y mensajes de medios sociales de personas preocupadas por el futuro de su familia en los Estados Unidos.

La mayoría de gente quiere saber qué puede hacer ahora para protegerse de lo que promete ser una ola de actividad anti-inmigración por parte del gobierno federal. La orden ejecutiva de Trump sobre la aplicación de la ley interior tiene algunas disposiciones que deberían hacer temblar a la mayoría de los estadounidenses. Recomendamos las siguientes acciones para cada uno de los siguientes grupos:

1. Ciudadanos estadounidenses naturalizados. En particular, si usted tiene un acento extranjero y está viajando dentro de 100 millas de cualquier Frontera de los Estados Unidos (incluyendo los océanos), recomendamos llevar consigo su pasaporte estadounidense, o una tarjeta de pasaporte, o una fotocopia de su certificado de naturalización. Debido a la imprevisibilidad de la situación actual, recomendamos guardar una fotocopia de estos documentos en un lugar seguro en su casa, de modo que si es necesario, alguien tendrá acceso a ella. Usted puede muy bien necesitar demostrar su ciudadanía de los EEUU.
2. Residentes permanentes. La mayoría de la gente no sabe esto, pero la ley federal requiere que cualquier persona que NO es un ciudadano de los Estados Unidos deba llevar consigo en todo momento, evidencia de su estado legal. Usted puede ver eso por sí mismo en 8 USC 1304 (e). Por lo tanto, llevar su Green Card con usted en todo momento! Como se observó para los ciudadanos de los EE.UU., también debe mantener una fotocopia de su Green Card en un lugar seguro en casa para que pueda ser accedido por alguien en caso que pierda su Green Card y lo necesita para identificarse. No te olvides de la zona libre de 100 millas de la constitución! También debe renovar su Green Card un total de 6 meses antes de la expiración. ¡No espere! Si su Green Card ha caducado, renuévala ahora. Y, si no es obvio en este momento, usted debe iniciar el proceso de naturalizarse inmediatamente!


3. No inmigrantes legales presentes (por ejemplo DACA, Visa U, EADs, Visitantes, Estudiantes, H1Bs, etc.). Lleve consigo en todo momento su Documento de Autorización de Empleo, su tarjeta I-94, su pasaporte con sello de entrada u otra prueba de presencia legal (ver la ley anterior). Lleve consigo el original y guarde una fotocopia en un lugar seguro en su casa, especialmente si se encuentra dentro del área fronteriza de 100 millas (más del 60% de la población de los Estados Unidos vive en esta zona).

4. Los inmigrantes indocumentados en los EE.UU. por más de dos años. Mantenga con usted en todo momento la evidencia de que ha estado presente por lo menos dos años. ¿Por qué? Porque el Presidente Trump acaba de ordenar al DHS que examina la posibilidad de activar una disposición nunca utilizada en la ley de inmigración que permita la expulsión inmediata de los Estados Unidos de cualquier persona que no pueda demostrar que ha estado aquí por dos años. No sabemos cuándo ICE o CBP pueden activar el cambio, pero tenemos que estar preparados. Pruebas que pueda querer con usted son facturas de servicios públicos, recibos, puestos de Facebook, correo o cualquier otra documentación con su nombre de hace dos años, pero, tenga mucho cuidado de usar talonarios de pago si ha utilizado documentos falsos o información para obtener su trabajo, Ya que son delitos procesables. Una vez más, también debe mantener esta información en casa para que sea accesible a alguien que puede ayudarle. Guarde una fotocopia en casa. Y, asegúrese de tener un plan familiar en lugar de llamar para asistencia legal si no vuelve a casa como de costumbre.

5. Los inmigrantes indocumentados en los EE.UU. por menos de dos años. Las malas noticias son que usted necesita un plan en lugar qué sucederá a su pertenencia y a su familia si usted no vuelve a casa del trabajo, de las compras, o de la escuela. Asegúrese de que sus familiares sepan que pueden buscar su nombre en el sitio web del detenido de ICE. Asumimos que el ICE y el CBP no lo liberarán en el enlace, y que si usted tiene un miedo o que vuelve a casa, usted necesitará ser MUY enfático sobre dejar saber si usted es detenido.

6. Inmigrantes indocumentados con 10 años en los Estados Unidos y niños. Usted es elegible para la cancelación de la eliminación, y la liberación en fianza. Comience ahora a preparar el papeleo que necesitará para asegurar un bono, y para probar su caso. Puede leer más sobre este proceso aquí. ¡No se deje sorprender desprevenido!

7. Los ciudadanos que no son estadounidenses (residentes permanentes, titulares de visas y inmigrantes indocumentados) que tienen una condena penal o son arrestados. Si usted tiene una condena penal, o incluso es arrestado por un crimen, ICE ha comenzado a detener a las personas en esta categoría y ha puesto en libertad sólo unos pocos en fianza. Si tiene alivio de la deportación, es elegible para el bono, pero, dependiendo de dónde se encuentre, no podrá ser liberado. Prepárese para esto ahorrando dinero para el bono ahora, y tenga el papeleo organizado para que nuestros abogados puedan ayudarlo rápidamente a buscar un bono.

8. Inmigrantes indocumentados con órdenes anteriores de deportación. Si usted tiene una orden de deportación anterior y ha regresado a los Estados Unidos, usted está sujeto a ser procesado por el gobierno federal por el crimen de reentrada después de la deportación. El presidente Trump ha ordenado a sus abogados estadounidenses aumentar el número de personas acusadas de este delito. Dependiendo de POR QUE usted fue deportado (por ejemplo, un delito grave), puede pasar hasta cinco años en una prisión federal por reingresar a los Estados Unidos. Una vez más, haga sus planes ahora sobre cómo usted quiere tratar  esta situación. Si usted tiene una orden de deportación y nunca se fue, AHORA es el momento de hablar con un abogado de inmigración y buscar asesoramiento sobre sus opciones para reabrir su caso de deportación.

9. Para aquellos arrestados por ICE, especialmente para los indocumentados – Tener un plan en su lugar. Decida ahora quién recoge a los niños de la escuela / guardería, quien estará autorizado para hacerlo en la escuela, a quien contactar primero, tienen un poder preparado para esto. En las últimas semanas hemos oído hablar de padres que son recogidos en las paradas del autobús escolar y en el trabajo y el hogar mientras los niños están en la escuela. Una vez que sucede, no hay tiempo para hacer arreglos.

Además, haga su investigación ahora con abogados de inmigración que usted puede llamar en un momento de aviso. Mantenga su número de teléfono a la mano y listo para la familia y amigos. O mejor aún, vaya a ver a un abogado de inmigración excelente ahora y ver qué opciones puede tener disponible para usted.

Damos estas advertencias porque queremos que la gente esté preparada NO asustada. La preparación asegurará que su familia esté protegida. Contáctenos un 404-816-8611 o ckuck@immigration.net o jgavilanes@immigration.net, si tiene alguna pregunta o inquietud sobre su estado.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s